[BioC] limma beginner needs help with matrix design

Agnieszka Zmienko akisiel at ibch.poznan.pl
Tue Dec 2 23:42:30 CET 2008

Hi!
I am looking for advice on how to get lists of
differentially expressed genes for my
experiments. Generally I have four plant lines
(wt and 3 mutant lines) and two different
conditions. But I do not have one common
reference. I always compared treated plants to
untreated pool of the same line and additonally I
compared untrated mutants to wt pool. I performed
4 replicates of each (biological replicates with
respect to Cy5 channel). Background correction and normalization are done.

These are my arrays:

Cy3             Cy5
pool.wt         wt.cond1
pool.wt         wt.cond1
pool.wt         wt.cond1
pool.wt         wt.cond1

pool.wt         wt.cond2
pool.wt         wt.cond2
pool.wt         wt.cond2
pool.wt         wt.cond2

pool.mu1        mu1.cond1
pool.mu1        mu1.cond1
pool.mu1        mu1.cond1
pool.mu1        mu1.cond1

pool.mu1        mu1.cond2
pool.mu1        mu1.cond2
pool.mu1        mu1.cond2
pool.mu1        mu1.cond2

pool.mu2        mu2.cond1
pool.mu2        mu2.cond1
pool.mu2        mu2.cond1
pool.mu2        mu2.cond1

pool.mu2        mu2.cond2
pool.mu2        mu2.cond2
pool.mu2        mu2.cond2
pool.mu2        mu2.cond2

pool.mu3        mu3.cond1
pool.mu3        mu3.cond1
pool.mu3        mu3.cond1
pool.mu3        mu3.cond1

pool.mu3        mu3.cond2
pool.mu3        mu3.cond2
pool.mu3        mu3.cond2
pool.mu3        mu3.cond2

pool.wt         mu1.U
pool.wt         mu1.U
pool.wt         mu1.U
pool.wt         mu1.U

pool.wt         mu2.U
pool.wt         mu2.U
pool.wt         mu2.U
pool.wt         mu2.U

pool.wt         mu3.U
pool.wt         mu3.U
pool.wt         mu3.U
pool.wt         mu3.U

I am interested in:
performing all simple comparisons Cy5/Cy3
find difference in response to cond 1 and cond2 for each separate line
find differences in response to cond1 between all lines, the same for cond2
find differences between untreated mutant lines.

Can I do it by designing one smart matrix and
making contrasts? or shall I better divide my
tasks, for example into groups with one common
reference each and perform the comparisons
separately? But how do I get the combined
contrasts then? As I mentioned, I am a begginer
so I can try to follow the examples in the manual
but combining them somehow seems too much for me... Any help is welcome :-)

One more question: I filtered out some bad spots
and the values are set no NA. Will they be simply
ignored and only existing values from other array
replicates will be combined for a given gene?
Hope so. I know that giving spot weights would be
better but that's left for the future...

Dr Agnieszka ¯mieñko

Centrum Doskonalosci CENAT
Instytut Chemii Bioorganicznej Polskiej Akademii Nauk
Noskowskiego 12/14
61-704 Poznañ
tel. (61) 8528503 wew. 249
fax: (61) 8520532