[Rd] Request: better default R_LIBS_USER

Felipe Contreras |e||pe@contrer@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 17 02:22:42 CET 2023

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 6:39 PM Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> On 16 March 2023 at 17:15, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> | We're all starting out with a fresh R_LIBS_USER once a year when a new
> | minor version of R is released,
>
> Maybe not "we all". I don't, and I know other Linux users who don't force a
> rebuild unless needed (as with R 3.6.* -> R 4.0.0).

Then you are not using the default.

And BTW, that's why the default location probably should be in a "4"
directory, not "4.2". And since it's even more unlikely that the
platform is going to change from one version to the next:

    ~/.local/share/R/4

Or something like that.

--
Felipe Contreras