[BioC] First business

Robert Gentleman rgentlem@jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:24:21 -0500

Well that took less time than I thought.
We have started to get subscription requests for the mailing list and
we need to deal with how to handle contributed libraries.

My proposal is to set up a discussion mailing list (that we all
subscribe to) for Bioconductor. I don't think that we have anything to
discuss yet -- which is a problem. We have had four requests to join
all with .de suffixes but there will be more.
Any other ideas?

Next, libraries. I am hoping to have our new programmer (starting in
Jan) learn how to test libraries and to handle all submissions (by
doing some simple testing and then add them to a site like CRAN).
Do we want to develop and start to populate the site now with the
proviso that we will put in more stringent tests later?
The reason for this is to gain some momentum and hopefully to find
some more people who might be willing to do some of the organizational
work that will be needed.

Fritz/Kurt: is it feasible to set up a web page for bioconductor off
of CRAN using mainly the existing structure and to populate it with
unvetted software. I expect that the new programmer will be able to
take this over in late January. So it would be the initial setup and
population that would be required.

   organize some mechanism for keeping track of what we are doing and
   what other people are doing regarding building libraries.
   - it would be nice to have some place where one can see what sorts
   of projects are being done so that collaboration etc can go on.
   - perhaps a Wiki type interface?

  thanks
    robert

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem@jimmy.dfci.harvard.edu   |