[BioC] R and Bioconductor packages

Pintilie, Melania Melania.Pintilie@uhn.on.ca
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:12:44 -0400

Hi,
I am a statistician at the Princess Margaret Hospital and I will need to do
some analysis on data from microarray. I have taken some courses, among
them, being the course given by Terry Speed in which, the Bioconductor
packages were introduced.

Our UNIX administrator have downloaded R and the Bioconductor packages and
installed them on our UNIX machine. However I have several problems when I
try to use them. I would appreciate if you could shed some light and give me
a hint on what should be done.
Here are the problems which I encountered:
1)	when I try to load the library marrayNorm: among the notes which
come up on the screen there is:

	Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
	        unable to load shared library
"/usr/local/R-1.5.1/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so":
	  ld.so.1: /usr/local/R-1.5.1/bin/R.bin: fatal: relocation error:
file /usr/local/R-1.5.1/
	library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so: symbol Tcl_GetString: referenced symbol
not found
	Error in .C("delTcl", PACKAGE = "tcltk") :
	        C/Fortran function name not in load table

	and also:

	Warning message:
	There is no package called `marrayPlots' in: library(package, char =
TRUE, logical = TRUE,
	 warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,

2)	after quitting R with the option to save the work space image and
re-starting R, I cannot use the functions in the libraries which were
previously loaded (for example the function maNorm, which was  for sure
loaded with its help file).
Do I have to load the libraries every time I am starting R?

3) The library sma doesn't seem to be in the package bundle either.

Thank you.

Melania

Melania Pintilie
Department of Biostatistics, Rm. 15-433