[BioC] Re: documenting S4 classes/accessors/encapsulation

Jeff Gentry jgentry@jimmy.harvard.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:14:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Robert Gentleman wrote:
>  I wasn't proposing that we have to use setXYZ and getXYZ,
>   but folks from the Java community

I've always personally liked the setX/getX syntax - it makes it obvious
what's being done even to someone who might not be completely boned up on
the details of the particular language.  It does seem a bit verbose, as
well as (along Byron's point) looking at page after page of code sometimes
the eyes blur the s's and the g's - but for understandability's sake, the
set/get syntax has always appealed to me.

-J