[BioC] specifying hyperlinks on the plot

Byron Ellis bellis@hsph.harvard.edu
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:02:24 -0500

On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 01:55  PM, A.J. Rossini wrote:

>     vincent> the short answer is no.  a related question is why
> restrict to pdf
>     vincent> or postscript?  for x11 graphics, the locator function
> can be used
>     vincent> to get information about mouse position.
>
> Restriction may be the wrong word, but the general idea is solid, I
> think (i.e. mailing a hyperlinked PDF file to collaborators, for
> example).

Even beyond this, PDF also supports embedded Javascript (for better or
for worse) that could let you do potentially interesting things. Being
able to generate active PDFs is definitely desirable (for posting or
mailing to people who neither know nor care about R :-)). I don't see
the current device driver model handling this very well.