[BioC] bg.correct--which is best?

Stephen Henderson s.henderson@ucl.ac.uk
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:43:25 -0000

Is the bg.correct method "mas" the same as the newest MAS5.0 one with a
weighted local correction based on grid averages (as I suspect)?

Does anyone have an opinion about this as compared to the "rma" default
method for bg.correct?

Stephen Henderson
WIBR

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Bolstad [mailto:bolstad@stat.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 4:45 PM
To: Pawel Herzyk
Cc: bioconductor
Subject: Re: [BioC] affy 1.1 - rma function

The three step procedure you outline does the same thing with the caveat
that the bg.correct.rma function implements the background correction
step in a slightly different way from the correction carried in the c
code (which duplicates the bg function in affy 1.0 releases).

Ben

> Hi there,
>
> I have a questions related to what the "rma" function actually does.
>
> Let assume that I have converted the probe level data stored in the "Data"
object to the gene expression values using the following

> > eset <- rma(Data)
>
> If I wanted to get the same effect but wanted to do it step by step so
that I could save the intermediate AffyBatch objects, then according to my
understanding the closest to the above would be the following:

> > bg.corrected.Data <- bg.correct.rma(Data)
> > norm.Data <- normalize(bg.corrected.Data)
> > eset <-
express(norm.Data,bg.correct=F,normalize.method=F,summary.stat=medianpolish)

> Obviously I won't get exactly the same numbers because "rma" is written in
C, so the codes are different, but am I correct in thinking that the above
three-step procedure does virtually the same as "rma"?