[BioC] memory requirement

Laurent Gautier laurent@cbs.dtu.dk
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:57:24 +0100

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 03:43:08PM -0600, Wilkinson, Mark wrote:
> Here, here.  I'd've asked sooner, but suspected I'd be advised the brute
> force approach of beefing up my machine.
>
> I'm running the affy package, specifically, with U133 chips, but am only
> able to read in 10-15 CEL files at once.  Any way around this?  I've
> considered using 'merge' to read a few, merge, read a few more, merge, etc.
> I'm using Windows R, which seems to have poor memory management anyway. Any
> tips?

How much memory did you have ?

I do not know much of the behavior with Windows, but with linux I remember doing
the full monty (raw data -> normalization -> summary expression value) for
about 80 U95A at once on a machine with 2Gb.

note : the new release of the package spits out something with the size of
the 'AffyBatch' object with the default print method (try:
data(Dilution)
Dilution
)

Hopin' it helps,