[BioC] Repost: marrayNorm 1.1.3 gets stuck

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Fri Aug 1 16:30:19 MEST 2003

>Hi List,
>
>Please excuse the repost. No one responded to my
>important.
>
>The problem is the new marrayNorm 1.1.3
>(installed with bioconductor 1.2) -- which seems to get
>stuck in an endless loop

It isn't in an endless loop, it's just very slow.

The problem is the loess function. If you use family="symmetric" and
iterations=4 to get a robust loess curve rather than just least squares,
then the function is quite slow with lots of data and you get heaps of
warnings associated with memory limits and the use of a k-d tree. If you
use surface="direct" to avoid the k-d tree and stop the warnings, then the
function is very slow indeed with lots of points. You see the result below
when you try to run it on 30,000 data points.

Versions of marrayNorm prior to 1.1.3 used least squares for the loess
curves - much quicker but not ideal as a normalization tool.

I have used some tricks to avoid this sort of speed degradation in the
limma package. I believe that Jean is in the process of implementing to
same sort of thing in the marrayNorm package.

Regards
Gordon