[BioC] Limma Documentation: normalization functions

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sun Aug 10 12:42:44 MEST 2003

Dear Paul,

At 04:38 AM 10/08/2003, Paul Boutros wrote:
> [...]

... help document deleted

>This is weird: I get totally different output.  I've appended mine below.
>Is this just a version issue, or is it something I should worry about?

Ah, I can see what is happening now. My apologies.

In the BioC Release 1.2 version of limma, which was limma 1.0.8, I wrote
normalizeWithinArrays as a new-style generic function. That means that
normalizeWithinArrays doesn't do anything itself, it just passes the
information on to more specific functions called "Methods" which actually
do the work, depending on the type of data which you input. What you were
supposed to do was to see that normalizeWithinArrays accepts RGList objects
and then type ?normalizeWithinArrays.RGList for the more detailed
information. (Alternatively you could type
helpMethods("normalizeWithinArrays") which would give you a menu of more
detailed help pages, or else use the html contents help page for limma.)
You are far from the only one who found this too obscure. I decided that
there is no good way to write documentation for new-style generic functions
within the R help system as it currently stands, so I have gone back to a
programming style in the development version of limma which does not use
the formal object-orientated programming system. This means that the
documentation for functions like normalizeWithinArrays is now much more
direct and you should find it more transparent.

I recommend that you get limma 1.1.10. An added advantage is that the
normalization routines are now much faster and more robust. If you can't
get it from the Bioconductor.org www site, then you can get it from
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma/. If you have installation rights on your
computer you may be able to type

   install.packages("limma",contriburl="http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma")

in R to get automatic installation of the latest version.

Best wishes
Gordon

>------------------ Begin document ------------------------------
>normalizeWithinArrays         package:limma         R Documentation
>
>Normalize Within Arrays - generic

>      A generic function which normalizes microarray data. Normalization
>      is intended to remove from the expression measures any systematic
>      trends which arise from the microarray technology rather than from
>      differences between the probes or between the target RNA samples
>      hybridized to the arrays.
>
>Usage:
>
>      normalizeWithinArrays(object,...)
>
>Arguments:
>
>   object: a data object containing microarray data
>
>      ...: any other arguments
>
>Methods:
>
>      Methods are defined in limma for `object' an object of class
>      `list', `RGList' or `MAList'.
>
>      Type `showMethods("normalizeBetweenArrays")' at the R prompt for a
>      complete list of classes for which methods are defined.
>
>Author(s):
>
>      Gordon Smyth
>
>See Also:
>
>      An overview of LIMMA functions for normalization is given in
>      4.Normalization.
>
>      See also `normalizeBetweenArrays' and `maNorm' in the marrayNorm
>      package.

... earlier correspondence deleted