[BioC] mean of individual rows for subsets of columns in an ExprSet

Claire Wilson ClaireWilson at PICR.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 16:59:18 MEST 2003

HI Anna,

I had a similar problem myself and didn't come up with an easy way to solve it, so my approach was

res <- matrix(nrow=length(rownames(x)),ncol=2, byrow=T)
for (i in 1:length(rownames(x))){
   res[i,1] <- ((x[i,4]+x[i,5]+x[i,6])+x[i,7])/4)
   res[i,2] <- #calculate the SD here
}

you could probably set this up as a function allowing you to select different columns each time or if can assign your different columns to groups (maybe assign those you want mean and SD for as 1 and those you don't as 0) you could do something like

groups <- c(0,0,0,1,1,1,1)
calc.means <-function(x, y){
   by(x, y, mean)
}
apply(eset at exprs,1 calc.means, y=groups)

if you have a phenoData variable that distinguishes those columns you want from those you don't then even better, as you can use esApply, this can split your data according to a particular phenoData variable

calc.means <-function(x){
   by(x, <phenoData variable>, mean)
}
esApply(eset at exprs,1 calc.means)