[BioC] Genechip experiment in limma

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Fri Aug 22 17:04:35 MEST 2003

At 02:48 AM 22/08/2003, Christian Probst wrote:
>Gordon,
>
>I succeed in loading the cDNA microarray data. As I need a spatial
>normalization, I will try to do it before the use of limma package.

Remember that print-tip-loess is in itself a simple form of spatial
normalization (as well as intensity-based normalization). In my experience,
print-tip-loess does most of what spatial normalization would have done.
But, as you say, if you really do want to do formal 2D normalization you'll
have to do it outside of limma.

>I am also running a Genechip experiment, with four time points and three
>treatments (A,B and Ctrl), with no replicates.

Am I correct in assuming that your first 4 chips are hybridised with Ctrl,
the second four with A and the last four with B? Are the time points
1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4?

>I would like to ask you about the design table in order to analyse this
>data.
>I want to find those genes that are differentially expressed in AxCtrl,
>BxCtrl, and AB x Ctrl.

Do you want genes which are DE between A and Ctrl and DE between B and
Ctrl? Obviously this includes identifying genes which are both DE for A vs
Ctrl and B vs Ctrl. I am not sure what you mean by "AB x Ctrl", perhaps you
just mean different for both A vs Ctrl and B vs Ctrl.

>Is this design matrix correct?

No it's not. If my assumptions above are correct, and your time points were
really replicates, which they're not, then you'd want either

 > design
Ctrl A B
1 0 0
1 0 0
1 0 0
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 1 0
0 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
0 0 1
0 0 1
0 0 1

with contrast matrix

 > cont.matrix
A-Ctrl  B-Ctrl
-1    -1
  1     0
  0     1

 > design
Ctrl A-Ctrl B-Ctrl
1 0 0
1 0 0
1 0 0
1 0 0
1 1 0
1 1 0
1 1 0
1 1 0
1 0 1
1 0 1
1 0 1
1 0 1

with contrast matrix

 > cont.matrix
A-Ctrl  B-Ctrl
0     0
1     0
0     1

I suggest using the first design matrix, in which case using limma 1.1.11,
you would go

fit <- lmFit(eset, design)
fit <- contrasts.fit(fit, cont.matrix)
fit <- eBayes(fit)
clas <- classifyTests(fit)
vennDiagram(clas)

to classify each gene as differentially expressed or not for AvsCtrl,
BvsCtrl or both.

> >design
>      A  B AB
>1    0  0  0
>2    0  0  0
>3    0  0  0
>4    0  0  0
>5    1  0  1
>6    1  0  1
>7    1  0  1
>8    1  0  1
>9    0  1  1
>10   0  1  1
>11   0  1  1
>12   0  1  1
>
>As I have a time-course experiment, and I am using the four time points
>as replicates, in order to analyze this data statistically, I wonder if
>there is a design table that uses the temporal information in a flexible
>way, to identify DEG in the beggining or ending of the infection
>proccess (I will mix my "replication" with my "temporal framework").

Yes, there is a design matrix which incorporates the temporal information,
but it is difficult to do statistical analysis in the absence of any
replication. (I do wish people would be prepared to invest in an extra two
or three chips in order to be able to do statistical analysis.)

There are things you could do, for example using genes which are not
differentially expressed to estimate variability for genes which are
differentially expressed, but this is a research problem.

Regards
Gordon