[BioC] Data analysis

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Dec 6 01:47:01 MET 2003

Hi Naomi,

At 09:14 AM 5/12/2003, Naomi Altman wrote:
>I also have a data set with differing numbers of spot replications.  I
>used lme to analyze these data, gene by gene.
>
>Basically, I wrote a little function that pulls the spot information out
>of the array, removes the flagged spots and does other data cleaning, and
>then runs lme (using "try" in case it bombs).  Then I use
>"split" to split the array data by geneID, and lapply to apply the
>function to every gene.

You can do this fine, but it is not equivalent to the limma treatment of
duplicate spots. Limma does a two-stage analysis, the first stage of which
is equivalent to lme().

>Is this slow?  Yes.  But once it is tested I just get it started on Friday
>at 5, and by Monday at 9 I have my results.
>The major drawback is that I am doing a gene by gene ANOVA.  The major
>advantage is that I can safely remove flagged spots, instead of trying to
>fudge in some values to maintain the balance.

If you start with the same number of spot replications, limma allows you to
remove flagged spots without any fudging by setting the corresponding spot
weights to zero.

Gordon