[BioC] Design Matrix: Dye-swap or channel-swap?

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Dec 13 07:59:23 MET 2003

At 08:36 AM 13/12/2003, John Welsh wrote:
>Sorry for the formatting error.
>
>Mine is a two color experiment, where each of four chips is a biological
>replicate, and half of these are dye-swapped. The (biological) control is
>always in the first channel and the treatment is always in the other. My
>confusion must stem from the R/G mnenomic: Cy5 fluorescence is in the red
>and Cy3 in the green, but this is irrelevant. Limma's R/G refer to false
>color.

Limma's R/G corresponds to Cy5/Cy3 dyes where that information is
available, for example with Genepix data. Otherwise "green" is a synonym
for channel 1 and "red" is a synonym for channel 2. (If you break the
convention that Cy3=channel 1 and Cy5=channel 2, then it's up to you to
unravel it.)

Gordon