[BioC] matchprobes package:Is there a bug?

david neil hayes davidneilhayes at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 22:22:32 MET 2003

To those who have not yet seen the matchprobes package, it is worth a look
and I thank Dr. Gentleman and Dr. Huber for this addition to Bioconductor.

I have the following problem with the "combine" function, however, and I
wonder if it is a bug.

I am able to generate the new "combined" affybatch object as expected,
however there are problems with the gene and sample names.

geneNames(AffyBatch) returns a list of names from the new "combined" object,
however when I extract the expression matrix from the AffyBatch object(using
exprs(AffyBatch)), the matrix has no gene or sample names associated with it
(no row or column names.

sampleNames(AffyBatch) returns a character vector of length 0

Any thoughts?

The code below may help:

>library(affy)
>library(matchprobes)
>
>#AffyBatch68 = vector of any u6800 arrays (one or more)
>#AffyBatch95 = vector of any 95av2 arrays (one or more)
>
>Res <-
>combine(list(AffyBatch68,AffyBatch95),c("hugeneflprobe","hgu95av2probe"),
>newcdf = "comb")
package:hugeneflprobe   hugeneflprobe
package:hgu95av2probe   hgu95av2probe
131541 probes in common between hugeneflprobe and hugeneflprobe
34456 probes in common between hugeneflprobe, hgu95av2probe and
hugeneflprobe
34428 unique probes in common

>comb <- Res$cdf
>NewSet <- Res$dat