[BioC] get over it/WAKE uP and SMELL the COFFEE

Ann Loraine loraine at loraine.net
Thu Dec 18 16:03:39 MET 2003

My apologies if this is off-topic.  If you like, feel free to respond
directly rather than posting to the list.

Affymetrix made this announcement recently:

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?
ticker=AFFX&script=410&layout=-6&item_id=476496

In a nutshell, they are announcing that they want to develop target
preparation protocols that amplify the full length of target mRNAs with
the ultimate goal of identifying splice variants.

Many splice variants (most notably variants of genes involved in
apoptosis) produced by the same gene exhibit different, sometimes even
antagonistic biological functions. An expression array that could
reliably produce information about how splicing varies from cell type
to cell type would certainly be useful.

Chad argues that focusing on individual genes using micro-array data is
problematic.  Would a chip designed to measure the relative abundance
of individual mRNAs produced by a single gene merely magnify these
problems?  Are the statistics of microarray expression analysis
'strong' enough to allow analysis of individual mRNAs from the same
gene?

I would be very interested to learn what members of this list think
about this development.

Sincerely,

Ann Loraine