[BioC] R-package installation from source code

Roger Vallejo rvallejo at psu.edu
Tue Dec 23 21:31:07 MET 2003

I installed the R-package from source code in a linux readhat 7.3. The
program runs. The problem is when I tried to install (or update) new
packages and libraries. The new install and libraries goes by default to
folders that I have no access (I am not the unix/linux administrator)
such as /usr/global/R-1.8.0/lib/R/library.   After this problem, I
re-installed the R-package making sure that the installation should go
to my home directory (home/rlv10/r181/library). But after installing and
running R, still the updates/installation of packages/libraries is send
to the undesired folder (/usr/global/R-1.8.0/lib/R/library). Why is
that?

I asked my local unix/linux admistrators, they are still working on that
and meanwhile I thought someone from the R group may know how to fix
this problem.

This is the error message:

*********

> source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")

> getBioC(relLevel="release")

Running getBioC version 1.2.46....

If you encounter problems, first make sure that

you are running the latest version of getBioC()

which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R

Please direct any concerns or questions to
bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

Error in getBioC(relLevel = "release") : You do not have write access to
/usr/global/R-1.8.0/lib/R/library

Please check your permissions or provide a different 'destdir' parameter

Perhaps a quick fix could be to add a different "destdir" in the
command:

> getBioC(relLevel="release")

How to do that?

Thanks in advance for the hand!