[BioC] Question on normalization

Rafael A. Irizarry rafa@jhu.edu
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:13:02 -0500 (EST)

i dont know about a concensus but... if you look at how different
replicate arrays can be (see Figure 2 here
http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~ririzarr/papers/affy1.pdf), it seems
impossible to argue that over-all differences in intensities are due to
biological variation as opposed to obsucuring variation. to me, this
means that in general, we are left with no choice but to assume that,
over-all, genes behave similarly across conditions and normalize
everything together. an alternative would
be to use control genes, but past attempts seemed to have failed.