[BioC] Members Only field removed

Jeff Gentry jgentry@jimmy.harvard.edu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:50:29 -0500 (EST)

Hello Bioconductor list ...

Thanks to the efforts of Martin Maechler for the mailing lists hosted on
his site, the vast majority of spam messages has been removed.  As the
list administrator, I've noticed that the signal to noise ratio on held
posts (posts which need admin approval) has increased by several orders of
magnitude, such that the vast majority are now non-members posting valid
messages.

I set the list to members only posting last summer in response to the
spam, but given the lower frequency - unless there is general wailing and
gnashing of teeth - I'm going to remove that flag.  From observation I'd
say that this should result in no more then about one spam message a week,
hopefully to improve with time.  If the noise increases in the future,
I'll look to setting it back to members only.

-Jeff