[BioC] Re: limma and affy (fwd)

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Jun 24 10:55:58 MEST 2003

At 09:20 AM 24/06/2003, Phguardiol at aol.com wrote:
>Gordon,
>
>if I have 4 groups instead of 3 and no missing values shall I change
>df=3+eb... into df= 4+eb... ? ie: df=number of groups+... ? of course I d
>have to change the contrast matrix

If you have no missing values, then the degrees of freedom contributed from
the fit will be (number of arrays) - (number of groups). But please use

    df = fit$df + eb$df

as this is always correct. fit$df is the usual residual degrees of freedom
from one-way analysis of variance model for each gene. eb$df is the degrees
of freedom contributed by Bayesian smoothing of the residual standard
deviations.

>>Do you have any missing values? If you do, df = fit$df + eb$df would be
>>better.
>>-> I guess you mean df = fit2.... ?

It doesn't matter, 'fit' and 'fit2' have the same residual degrees of
freedom. Changing the contrasts or changing the parametrization doesn't
change the residual standard error estimates.

>>As we discussed in a previous email, lines 19-21 just can't go together.
>>M is a matrix, A is just a vector.
>>-> yes that was a mistake but I did correct it in my last command file
>
>>Now you are in the realm of the R language itself rather than LIMMA
>>specifically.
>
>-> yes and I need to learn a lot there !
>
>thanks a lot
>Philippe

Gordon