[BioC] Volcano plots

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jun 25 00:59:18 MEST 2003

Just to elaborate on Jim's comments, a "volcano plot" is a plot of
log-fold-change versus a non-negative statistic which tests the
significance of the fold change. Since the size of the statistic tends to
increase with absolute log-fold-change, such a plot has the characteristic
shape of the open crater of a volcano. Volcano plots are sometimes used to
emphasise that variability plays a role in significance as well as
fold-change. You don't need any special software to make a volcano plot,
you just need the fold change and a suitable test statistic and then do a
scatter plot.

I don't have my file of papers with me to check, but I seem to remember the
term was coined in the paper below. Obviously other authors have used the
same idea without necessarily using the name.

Cheers
Gordon

Jin, W., Riley, R. M., Wolfinger, R. D., White, K. P., Passador-Gurgel, G.,
and Gibson, G. (2001). The contributions of sex, genotype and age to
transcriptional variance in Drosophila melanogaster. Nature Genetics 29,
389 - 395.