[BioC] using R behind firewall

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 28 17:19:45 MET 2003

> Hi!  I am behind a firewall, and while installing bioconductor using
> the getBioC.R script (under Windows), I got this error: Error in
> getBioC(libName = "all") : Your R is not currently configured to allow
> HTTP connections, which is required for getBioC to work properly.

First, please read this old message to the R-help mailing list:
http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/03a/0690.html

This describes how to work around the firewall issue in a general case
with R.

Secondly, once that works, getBioC() now supports a 'method' argument,
which like the install/download functions in R defaults to 'auto'.  You'll
want to use 'method=wget' here.

-J