[BioC] Re: [R] A co-occurrence matrix

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Nov 11 13:04:15 MET 2003

Sorry about the misunderstanding.  If you form matrix m as I wrote before,
then I think the following will give you the matrix you are interested in:

> obj <- c(1,2,3,4,5)
> group <- c(1,2,1,1,3)
> m <- matrix(rep(0,3*5),nrow=5,ncol=3)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    0    0    0
[2,]    0    0    0
[3,]    0    0    0
[4,]    0    0    0
[5,]    0    0    0
> for (i in 1:5) {m[obj[i],group[i]]=1}
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    0    0
[2,]    0    1    0
[3,]    1    0    0
[4,]    1    0    0
[5,]    0    0    1
> c <- crossprod(t(m),t(m))
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
[1,]    1    0    1    1    0
[2,]    0    1    0    0    0
[3,]    1    0    1    1    0
[4,]    1    0    1    1    0
[5,]    0    0    0    0    1

Note that crossprod(m,m) will give you counts of objects within groups:

> c <- crossprod(m,m)
[1,]    3    0    0
[2,]    0    1    0
[3,]    0    0    1