[BioC] RNA digestion plots

Francois Collin fcollin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 19:21:04 MET 2003

We should keep in mind that systematic differences detected among probe intensities within a probe sets are tiny in comparison to the typical variation in intensity observed among probes within a probe set.  Systematic differences are detectable because we are summarizing probe intensities by location (3' -> 5' order) over 20 000+ probes (in HG U133 case).

A trend from 3' to 5' order in average probe intensity is expected (look at the Affymetrix HG 133A spike in experiment for an example of how the digestion plots would look like in the ideal case) .  This trend varies from chip type to chip type.  It is not clear to me how deviations from the expected trend translates into impact on expression summaries obtained for the particular chips where these deviations are observed.  One observation that I have made is that poor quality chips (with "quality" ascertained by examination of chip image, or summaries of RMA residuals, or variability in log ratios of expressions) are very often characterized with an absence of 3'-5' trend in RNA digestion plot.  If you look at the RNA digestion plots to judge chip quality, beware of deviations from expected 3'-5' trend in both directions (absence of trend being more telling of potential problems in my experience).

-francois

Lawrence Paul Petalidis <lpp22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi William
The RNA plots on your site look great to me. I routinely work with tumour
clinical RNA and the slopes are significantly larger than yours even if the
quality of starting RNA appears to be good. You see, RNA quality control
relies heavily on ribosomal RNA quality (peaks). However, I have had samples
with great ribosomal peaks that actually produce RNAdeg plots with a
significant slope 5' to 3'. Its the state of the mRNA that counts and that
seems to be more sensitive to degradation than the ribosomal one. I would be
very happy working with the ones you show on your site.

With kind regards, Lawrence

Lawrence Paul Petalidis
Ph.D. Candidate

University of Cambridge