[BioC] Re: Manova nuances

Baker, Stephen Stephen.Baker at umassmed.edu
Fri Nov 21 21:04:59 MET 2003

Andy et al.

(Thanks for correcting my typo on the spelling of "principal").

Yes I know that ANOVA of n principal components will result in n
p-values, however the SMALLEST p-value will be equivalent to a
multivariate test of his hypotheses on his data.

MANOVA and univariate ANOVA on the principal components are essentially
equivalent in theory and quite similar in that both approaches involve
the characteristic roots and functions of the same design and covariance
matrices.

The equivalence is based on the fact that multivariate hypotheses will
be rejected only if the equivalent univariate hypotheses do not hold for
all variates (Morrison,1976).  Principle components simply transforms
the original variates into new variates which conserve all the original
information. Michael Benjamin's problem is that he CANNOT run MANOVA as
he has fewer cases than variates however my suggested approach WOULD
work.

With regards to Michael's request/need for a SINGLE SUMMARY STATISTIC,
he would use the minimum of the p-values for the appropriate effect from
the univariate ANOVA's on the principal components as his single
p-value.  These are orthogonal tests and the minimum would be equivalent
to testing the same hypotheses with MANOVA on his dataset.

The only caveat is that with K genes and n<K and he will be able to test
his hypotheses on the first n principal components which account for the
largest portions of the variation.  However, in my 20 years experience,
in most datasets the number of "significant" components (with
eigenvalues >1) is usually much smaller than the number of variates.  It
would be unusual for any real biological effect to not be represented
among one or more of the first n components given n is not too small. In
his case that's 35 and I think that's probably enough.

Best wishes
Stephen

Stephen P. Baker, MScPH, PhD (ABD)            (508) 856-2625
Sr. Biostatistician- Information Services
Lecturer in Biostatistics                     (775) 254-4885 fax
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester
55 Lake Avenue North                          stephen.baker at umassmed.edu
Worcester, MA 01655  USA