[BioC] Pooling in microarray studies

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:33:19 MEST 2003

What you need to have is 16 ug of fragmented cRNA to hybridize to the
chip. If you start with 10 ug, there is a very high probability that you
will end up with at least 16 ug at the end of the molecular biology
step. However, if you only start with 8 ug, you are less likely to end
up with the magical 16 ug, but it is still highly probable. We recently
did something like 8 chips with only ~5 ug for each, and had 16 ug at
the end for all of them.

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

>>> Wiesner Vos <vos at stats.ox.ac.uk> 10/06/03 10:02AM >>>

Thanks for the replies Min-han and Jim.
I suspected that this may be the case (keeping the
papers in mind about comparing expression measures
on the Dilution data eg. Cope et al.)

I suspected that the use 8ug would be perhaps
not make much of a difference if you use
an expression measure like for example
RMA that seems to be reasonably independent of
the actual amount of RNA on a chip. Thanks
again for your help.

Wiesner J. Vos
Department of Statistics
University of Oxford
1 South Parks Road
OX1 3TG
United Kingdom

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Tan, MinHan wrote:

> - Perhaps it is an policy issue with your microarray core facility,
but
> the standard Affymetrix GeneChip Technical Manual recommends 5 - 20
ug
> total RNA.
>
> - I routinely use 5 ug total RNA with no apparent problems.
>
> - So yes, you should be able to do single sample hybridizations.
>
> Regards,
> Min-Han

RNA
> to hybridize the sample for each individual to a separate chip and
pool
> the samples and accept the risk that one sample may dominate the
> outcome? The best solution did not seem obvious (to me at least!)
>
> Any comments will be much appreciated.
>
> Wiesner
>

> Wiesner J. Vos
> Department of Statistics
> University of Oxford
> 1 South Parks Road
> OX1 3TG
> United Kingdom

> This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If
you are not the intended recipient(s) please contact the sender by reply
email and destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.