[BioC] very small fold change from RMA data

w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 16 19:36:25 MEST 2003

Hi Dapeng Cui,

there is a trade-off between variance and bias when estimating
fold-change, esp. for weakly expressed genes. "Bias" means that the
estimated fold-changes for genes whose true fold-changes are different
from 1 are shrunken towards 1.

While the MAS-software stays on the high-variance, small-bias side, RMA
tends to sacrifice some bias for a large gain in variance. Thus, the
fold-changes from RMA will often be closer to 1 than those from MAS, esp.
for weakly expressed genes.

Best regards

Wolfgang Huber
Division of Molecular Genome Analysis