[BioC] dye swap vs. control channel

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Oct 23 11:35:16 MEST 2003

These are actually unresolved issues (at least here, I know of one
statistician doing design that has changed their mind on this).

I think it boils down to whether you are interested in a direct
head-to-head comparison (then dye swapping is essential), or in more
general, less direct statements about groups of samples, with the
possibility of generalizing past the experiment (then choice of
reference sample is critical).

Now the REAL hard past is figuring out which you are really interested
in, given the associated costs.  Right now, if you have a good
reference or reference prototype for your situation, and can afford
biological replications,  I'd probably do reference comparisons.
(note that those "if"'s are very serious questions to answer --
flippant answers result in flippant studies :-).

So all of a sudden, we've moved beyond statistical design, to
cost-function based decision theory and risk analysis.

Sorry, no easy answers this morning.

I'd be interested in hearing others opinions on the topic as well.

best,
-tony