[BioC] Heatmap function

Furge, Kyle Kyle.Furge at vai.org
Wed Oct 29 19:55:43 MET 2003

This question has come up often at our institute... so here goes for an brief, unformal, explanation.

Clustering depends on some type of distance metric to determine how the samples are related

If you have a set of vectors :
x <- c(1,NA,2,NA)
y <- c(NA,2,NA,1)

The pattern of missing values make computing any type of distance between the vectors incomprehensible. The dist functions return NA for these types of comparisons.

Clustering functions don't like NA because their job is just to organize the data.  A distance of NA is not understandable.

What some programs do (like Eisen's cluster) is "threshold" the NA values to some arbitrary "large" distance.

The following dist function computes distances and then replaces any NA values with an arbitrarily large distance (10% greater then the largest actually distance).  This function may be helpful for input into hclust because NA values are replaced

na.dist <- function(x,...) {
 t.dist <- dist(x,...)
 t.dist <- as.matrix(t.dist)
 t.limit <- 1.1*max(t.dist,na.rm=T)
 t.dist[is.na(t.dist)] <- t.limit
 t.dist <- as.dist(t.dist)
 return(t.dist)
}

I typed this from memory, so it may contain typo's, but you see the idea.

I hope this helps,

-kyle