[BioC] R and ARB

Susan Holmes susan at miller.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 11 10:21:56 MEST 2003

Nicholas,
You can also look into trexml
http://jcsmr.anu.edu.au/dicb/humgen/marty/trexml/trexml.man.html
which does use Felsensteins' program, I don't think you have to worry
about keeping away from Felsenstein's code, his copyright notice
is pretty clear, he doesn't want others to use it and then sell
their software, as detailed also on marty Wolf's trexml page.

I think it would be most useful to have a ml implementation in R,
we are developping packages that compute distances between trees
as they are output by phylip (in Newick format),
we have developed our own treeclass for this,
I have also developed various other interfaces to phylip,
but would actually like a more ``R-based'' approach
(ape does not do any tree estimation either).

Please make more precise what kind of help you would like,
I would be all for using trexml, what do you think.
Susan Holmes
Statistics, Stanford