[BioC] installing BioConductor

Nunez-Garcia, Javier j.nunez at vla.defra.gsi.gov.uk
Tue Sep 16 11:53:13 MEST 2003

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently started using R software on a windows 2000 system. I'm
trying to install BioConductor but I got the following error message when
running getBioC

> getBioC()
Running getBioC version 1.2.41....
If you encounter problems, first make sure that
you are running the latest version of getBioC()
which can be found at: www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R

Please direct any concerns or questions to bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

Error in getBioC() : Your R can not connect to the Bioconductor website,
which is required for getBioc to work properly.  The most likely cause of
this is the internet configuration of R

I have also tried to install it from the RGui menu packages but it didn't
work neither:

> local({a<- CRAN.packages(CRAN=getOption("BIOC"))
+ install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1], available=a,
CRAN=getOption("BIOC"))})
trying URL `http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/PACKAGES'
unable to resolve 'www.bioconductor.org'.
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
        cannot open URL
`http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7/PACKAGES'

My internet connection is working fine and I can access to the web sites
that R is trying to connect.
I have downloaded the packages and tried to install it using the packages
menu again but using the option: packages from local zip files,

> install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]),
.libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: error -1 in extracting from zip file
2: cannot open file `Bioconductor/DESCRIPTION'

As well, I can unzip the packages using software such as winzip. Could you
please tell me if I'm missing something or if I'm doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Javi

Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient only. Its
unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you have
received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender. Whilst this
email and associated attachments will have been checked for known viruses
whilst within VLA systems we can accept no responsibility once it has left our
systems. Communications on VLA's computer systems may be monitored
and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
lawful purposes.

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]