[BioC] Background correction - limma

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Apr 7 01:32:22 CEST 2004

At 10:29 PM 6/04/2004, Helen Cattan wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am trying to use backgroundCorrect - method = half or minimum but get
>the following error:
>
> > files=dir(pattern="*\\.gpr")
> > RG=read.maimages(files, columns=list(Rf="F635 Median", Gf="F532
>Median", Rb="B635 Median", Gb="B532 Median"))
> > names(RG)
> > RG$genes=readGAL()
> > RG$printer=getLayout(RG$genes)
> > samples=read.table("sampleinformationa.txt", header=TRUE, sep="\t",
>as.is=TRUE)
> > samples
> > spottypes=readSpotTypes()
> > RG$genes$Status=controlStatus(spottypes, RG)
> > RG = backgroundCorrect(RG, method="minimum")
> > MA=normalizeWithinArrays(RG, RG$printer)
> > MA=normalizeBetweenArrays(MA)
> > design=c(1,-1)
> > cor=dupcor.series(MA$M,design,ndups=2)
>Error in array(val[["varBeta"]], c(rnkm1, rnkm1), list(namCoef,
>namCoef)) :
>         length of dimnames[1] not equal to array extent

The error seems to be occuring in the function 'gls' from the nlme library
which is called by dupcor.series(). Congratulations, you're the first
person I know of who has managed to break gls()!

Can I ask you to upgrade to the current version of limma from
http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limma and try again. dupcor.series() no longer
calls gls().

If you still have a problem, please type summary(MA$M) to see how many
missing values you have in your data.

>Then I manually altered the background values of the genepix files so
>after background subtraction the previously negative (F635/532-B635/532)
>values were zero,

Altering negative values to zero will make no difference. log of zero is
negative infinity. Such values will be removed by dupcor.series() and other
regression programs just as if they were missing values. If you want to do
something comparable to method="minimum" you have to replace with a
positive value.

Gordon