[altirriba@hotmail.com: [BioC] Design in factDesign] (fwd)

Denise Scholtens dscholte at hsph.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 12 17:30:20 CEST 2004

I'm sorry I missed the difference between "*" and ":" previously - I
always forget which means which.

Kaspar is right - in statistics, it's not a good idea to fit an
interaction between two terms in a linear model without including the main
effects in the model as well.  In the situation you describe below, you
could compare the "D+T+D:T" model to the "T" to find genes that are
differentially expressed for diabetic patients compared to nondiabetic
patients in either the presence or absence of treatment.  This will take
account of the observations under all four treatment conditions.  You
could then further analyze specific tests of contrasts for the parameters
in the model to get at more directed questions about the behavior of the
genes under the experimental conditions - the factDesign vignette contains
examples of this.

BTW - factDesign is now updated so that the contrastTest function returns
the F-value referred to previously.

Denise

Office: M1B11, DFCI
Phone: 617.632.4494