[BioC] Reading SMD datasets

Stanley M Dunn smd at occlusal.rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:13:36 CEST 2004

I've been trying to learn R and Bioconductor and to read SMD datasets,
but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I can't even get it to work
with a small dataset (5912.xls)

I'm hoping that someone can help me get past the following error:

 > read.SMD(fnames = NULL, path = "e:/", name.Gf = "Ch 1 Intensity (Mean)",
+ name.Gb = "Ch 1 Background (Mean)", name.Rf = "Ch 2 Intensity (Mean)",
+ name.Rb = "Ch 2 Background (Median)", name.W = NULL, layout = NULL,
+ gnames = NULL, targets = NULL,notes = NULL, skip = 21, sep = " ",
quote = "",nmax = 24192)
[1] "Reading e://5912.xls"
Error in readLines(con, n, ok) : invalid value for `n'

I just don't know where to go next to get the dataset read in.  As you
can see, I tried to fix the number of records and should probably fix
the line format ('what' parameter to scan), but I suspect it should be
simpler than I'm making it out to be.

Thanks, in advance,
Stan

--
Stanley M Dunn, Ph.D.
Paul S and Mary W Monroe Faculty Scholar

(732) 445 - 4462
(732) 445 - 3224 (Center for Packaging)
(732) 445 - 7067 (Fax)
smd at occlusal.rutgers.edu