[BioC] how deal with multiplicate affy probes?

Johnnidis, Jonathan Jonathan.Johnnidis at joslin.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 28 18:22:14 CEST 2004

Dear List,
I remain unsure of how to deal with multiplicate Affymetrix ProbeSets (in my analysis I need to assign a single fold-change status to each _gene_, not merely each ProbeSet).
Some have suggested that, given two or more ProbeSets for a given gene (e.g. 97569_r_at and 97658_r_at on the MgU74Av2 chip for Insulin), if at least one ProbeSet shows significant foldchange in an experiment (and, say the other(s) show no fold-change), it is fair to regard that locus as diferentially regulated and ignore the other ProbeSet(s).  While this is an attractive solution (one maximizes the number of potentially diferentially regulated loci), I remain unconvinced that it is scientifically acceptable: doesn't that bias the results of the experiment based on the experimental variable you are trying to test? Wouldn't that be quite dangerous?
If there are any thoughts to the contrary, I'd be very interested to hear them.
Perhaps there are other solutions to dealing with multiplicate ProbeSets? For example, one might use a criterion which is less-biased to select the best ProbeSet within a multiplicate group of ProbeSets.  Those criteria could include the ProbeSet that has the highest signal(i.e. expression) value, or the best 3'-5' ratio, or the highest genomic alignment fidelity?

So basically the question is how best to 'summarize' a group of ProbeSets (as opposed to previous and ongoing debates on how to summarize individual probes within a ProbeSet).

with thanks for any further discussion,
Jonathan