[BioC] Confusing colours using geneplotter functions and heatmap()

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Aug 25 13:03:09 CEST 2004

Michael,

There are times when using row-based scaling makes sense.  For example,
if one is comparing two samples via a common reference (2-color
design), then absolute ratios are not meaningful, only the ratios
relative to each other.  In this case, and probably others, having
row-based scaling (or normalization) makes contrasts easier to see and
more intuitive.

In your case, it seems you feel that scaling is not appropriate and
probably isn't.  I believe the default for heatmap is to have row
scaling.  From heatmap documentation (see ?heatmap):

    scale: character indicating if the values should be centered and
           scaled in either the row direction or the column direction,
           or none.  The default is '"row"' if 'symm' false, and
           '"none"' otherwise.

So, you probably want to do heatmap(...,scale="none")

Sean