[BioC] Bioconductor documentation

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Aug 30 15:19:03 CEST 2004

While I agree that we can always strive for better documentation, I
would disagree that the vignettes are superfluous for "everyday" use of
bioconductor packages.  I have made much use of the limma "user guide",
perhaps the single most complete piece of documentation outside of the
R manuals (and these are not specific to a given package).  While I
agree that some of the "internal" R documentation could be improved
upon, I'm not sure that we can simply ignore information contained in
the vignettes and assume that if it isn't in the "internal"
documentation, it isn't documented.  I would like to see maintainers
continue to improve upon the already fantastic source of knowledge
contained in the package vignettes.  I'm not a developer for
bioconductor, just a user, so my comments are just opinion, but I do
think the vignettes are an integral source of information, even
regarding algorithms (but not parameter defaults---I agree with Naomi
on this point).  I DO think the official stance could be more specific,
so I, (probably) like Naomi, would like to hear what role
vignettes/user manuals should play in package documentation, as in
practice there is wide variability.

Sean