[BioC] GCRMA/RMA bimodal distribution

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Aug 31 19:10:11 CEST 2004

Matthew Hannah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for including the developers, but I guess you are the only ones
> that will be able to answer this, (and I'm not sure BioC accepts .docs).
> I saw a comment from Jean addressing the same question but couldn't find
> the reply he referred to.
>
> https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2004-August/005769.
> html
>
> It seems the mouse chip exprs values have a double peak after gcrma
> (looking at a density plot).

I don't understand the concern here for the distribution of expression
values on a given chip (maybe I am missing something?). Is there
something inherently wrong with a bimodal distribution, or are you
simply assuming that the distribution of expression values on a chip  is
supposed to be semi-normal (or at least unimodal)?

Note that any statistical test that I can think of (if we assume columns
= samples and rows = genes) is done on a row by row basis, so I could
see a concern if the row data were not all unimodal but what assumption
applies to the columns?

Best,

Jim

--