[BioC] Re: normalisation or analysis with batch effects

Darlene Goldstein Darlene.Goldstein at epfl.ch
Wed Dec 1 13:21:13 CET 2004

Hi, I just wanted to mention that even if you do normalize all the chips
together, you are still likely to see the 'batch' (or 'block') effects.  To try
to assess the extent of the problem, you might cluster the samples and see if
you get samples from the same batch clustering together.

Best regards, Darlene

-------------------

Hello,

the 11 tumour sampel are considered as biological replicates, or are these split
into different tumour classes?

We've had a similar problem. Our data was generated in three different
laboratories, each having slightly different protocols, but within each lab we
had the same factors (the same doses of a drug).

I guess, if the tumours are considered as replicates one could include the batch
as a factor (as you suggest below), but if they contain different tumour classes
one could not separate the dmso effect from the "tomour" class effect.

The tissues samples (normal and tumour) are probably from different subjects and
will show strong differences per se. Maybe one get some estimates for the impact
of the batch by using a mixed effects model with each sample as random effect
and the batch as fixed effect.

something like lme(response ~ batch, data=d, rand = ~ 1|sample)

I'm not sure about this, it's just an idea ...

Anyway, I'd pre-process (normalize) all samples together, otherwise there'll
certainly be a batch effect.

	kind regards,

	Arne

Darlene Goldstein
Institute of Mathematics, EPFL            Tel: +41 21 693 2552
CH-1015 Lausanne                          Fax: +41 21 693 4303
SWITZERLAND