[BioC] bioconductor on xserve

Colin Smith colin at colinsmith.org
Sat Dec 4 23:03:46 CET 2004

Guoneng-

I haven't run Bioconductor scripts on Xserve hardware specifically. I
have however successfully set up a test installation of webbioc on a
small cluster of a G3 and G4 Power Mac linked together with the Sun
Grid Engine.

Your best bet is probably installing the prebuilt R package (from CRAN)
onto each cluster node. Then you'll need to create a R library
directory where you install all the Bioconductor packages. That
directory could either be shared over NFS, etc. or copied to each node.
It's fairly straightforward to write simple shell scripts which can
execute a file containing a series of R commands. For analysis of
Affymetrix data, webbioc takes care of all of that for you and has an
easy to use web interface for submitting jobs to the cluster.

If you only have a user account on the Xserve cluster, it is of course
possible to compile and run R/Bioconductor from entirely within your
home directory.

-Colin