[BioC] automatic data package maker

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Fri Dec 10 23:55:24 CET 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Tomas Radivoyevitch wrote:

> Doing this manually has been taking me 1 to 2 hours a pop.
>
> Related to your question, a few weeks ago I tried to post the two
> questions below. Regarding the second of these and your question,
> perhaps the solution is to simply get everyone into the habit of
> making R data packages and sending them up to Bioconductor. It would
> be nice if manuscripts started coming with R scripts as "additional
> files" so that figures could be reproduced, and having the
> corresponding datasets up at bioconductor as R packages would
> certainly help.
>
> Q1:   Does anyone have an automatic approach to grabbing GEO soft
> files and making esets out of them?

   I think not, but things like readGEOAnn could be used for such
purposes. If they do not fit your requirements please let us know as we
would happily take patches/improvements (on these and virtually any
other functions).

> Q2:   Regarding R Data packages as an alternative to grabbing things
> from GEO, can anyone explain why there are so few (if any) GEO
> datasets also up at Bioconductor? I'm wondering if there's some sort
> of legal hindrance going on, or if it's just the leg work that's
> missing.

   Just time, if you have some please feel free, and let us know if
there is anything we can do to help...

    Robert

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rafael A. Irizarry"
> <ririzarr at jhsph.edu>

----+
| Robert Gentleman              phone: (206) 667-7700            |