[BioC] Problem with limma backgroundCorrect function

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 15 13:20:00 CET 2004

Yes, this is a bug.  The code was intended to be !is.finite(sigma) rather than
!is.infinite(sigma).  Thanks for finding this.  Will be fixed in limma version 1.8.14.

The bug affects only the starting values of fit.normexp(), not the final parameter values.  So
whenever the function converges, the bug will have had no final effect.  (I just tested the
function on a set of 34 arrays with and without the bug fix to confirm this.)

What the bug will have done is to increase the frequency of convergence failures.  Convergence
failures lead to arrays with almost everything set to NA, so are easily recognisable.  limma has
been trapping and reporting convergence failures in fit.normexp() since version 1.8.10.  Hopefully
they will now occur less often.

Gordon