[BioC] Beginner help

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Dec 30 18:17:40 CET 2004

Almost always when you see a message like that, the first course of
action is the following:

library(reposTools)
install.packages2("bioclabs") ## or whatever you are missing

This should hunt down the package you are looking for and install it
along with any packages it may depend on. Much better than a manual hunt
for the package.

HTH,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623
At 09:33 AM 12/30/2004, you wrote:
> >    I have been reading and trying to work through some of the demos
and
> > tutorials available for R and Bioconductor.  I seem to be spending
more
> > time working around commands that are no longer recognized in newer
> version
> > of R.   Are there ways around this?  Newer tutorial materials?  The
Lab
> > materials would be particular helpful (e.g. End2EndLab)  but many of
the
> > associated files and commands do not work with newer versions of R.
Are
> > there updated files somewhere?
>
>Can you give specific examples of what is not working?  It is hard to
give
>you advice w/o knowing exactly what you're talking about.

I start End2End Lab but when I get to  library(bioclabs) I get this
message

Error in library(bioclabs) : There is no package called 'bioclabs'

I tried to find bioclabs but have not had any success.  Seems I am
spending
more time trying to make something work then actually learning
Bioconductor.  Of course in this process I am learning a lot about
Bioconductor, but not what I really need to know.

What I really need is a R/Bioconductor for dummies book  that has
exercises
I can work through :)

Thanks

Toni-Ann