[BioC] M vs A plot

Richard Friedman friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu
Mon Feb 9 23:03:20 MET 2004

Dear Sean (Wolfgang, Naomi, and Everybody),

	The original command that I used was

 > ira.norm <- maNorm(ira.raw, norm ="p")\

The command that I used with the altered span is

 > ira.f8.norm <- maNormMain(ira.raw, f.loc = list(maNormLoess(x = "maA",
+               y = "maM", z= "maPrintTip", w = NULL, subset =TRUE,
span =0.8)),
+               Mloc = TRUE,  Mscale = TRUE, echo =FALSE)

This command still gave pronounced curvature at in the middle of one of
the printtip blocks and
at the ends of several printtip blocks.
I did not use a span greater than .8 because that was counteridicated
either in the
micorarray or loess literature.
Thank you f all for your suggestion of going to vsn. However,
as this program is new to me,  I ask if anyone knows a rule of thumb as
to how flat the
printtip loess line should be in order to be acceptable? I would prefer
not to change horses
unless necessary

Thanks and best wishes,
Rich

On Jan 30, 2004, at 2:48 PM, Sean Davis wrote:

> [...]
> That may
> help people determine better what is going on.
>
> In reference to ridding you of intensity-dependent variability,
> loess-normalization is designed to locally center the data but does
> not, in
> itself, deal with the variability that may be intensity-dependent.
> For that
> problem, you may need to look into something like vsn or other scaling
> method.
>
> Sean
>

> On 1/30/04 2:35 PM, "Richard Friedman"
> <friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Mick,
>>
>> Thanks for the help. What concerns  me however is not a single
>> point being an outlier, but the whole loess fit to all the points
>> leading
>> the lowess curve for a few printips to deviate significantly from
>> being
>> a straight line practically colinear with the x-axis (abcissa). The
>> two
>> test cases on which I learned to use marray - the apoE data that comes
>> with spot, and the swirl data that comes with marray, all had
>> significantly expressed genes - however they also had flat normalized
>> lowess curves. Significant curvature in the lowess curve leads me
>> to be concerned that the spots associated with that region of
>> the curve are improperly normalized.
>>
>> Can anyone out there give me:
>>
>> 1. Guidelines as to how flat the lowess curve should be for the
>>  data to be considered normalized.
>>
>> 2. Advice as to what to do if the printtip normalization option
>>  in marray did not remove intensity dependence.
>>
>> If anyone is willing to look at the M vs A curve, I would be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks and best wishes,
>> Rich
>>

>> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> The nature of any normalisation means that we will always have
>>> outliers -
>>> those spots that deviate from all the rest.  There could be two
>>> reasons -
>>> that spot represents a differentially expressed gene or the spot is
>>> unreliable and comes from a "bad" spot.
>>>
>>> I'd take the common sense approach to these outliers:
>>>
>>> i) Check any replicate spots - if all replicate spots are outliers
>>> then you
>>> have evidence that it's a differentially expressed gene.  However,
>>> if the
>>> replicates disagree, this is evidence that the outlier comes from an
>>> unreliable / bad measurement
>>>
>>> ii) Go take a look at the spot on the original image.  Does it look
>>> "good"?
>>>
>>> You are likely always to find outliers after normalisation.  This
>>> is, after
>>> all, what we are looking for, isn't it?  The key is to be able to
>>> say, when
>>> you see an outlier, if that spot is of reliable quality or not.

>>> few
>>> printips, for A>12 M deviates from close to zero. in one case, M