[BioC] Re: remlscore function / random effects

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Mon Feb 9 23:46:58 MET 2004

Hi Francois,

When there the mixed model contains only one random effect, apart from the
residual, I use the function randomizedBlock() from the statmod package
which is quite a bit faster than lme() and also (I think) more likely to
converge successfully. When there are two or more random effects, I don't
know of any alternatives in R to lme(). Doug has promised a faster version
of lme() as part of a large revision of the nlme package, but I don't know
when that will be available.

Unfortunately, remlscore() fits a very specialized type of model. It
estimates a variance function rather than random effects and so isn't an
alternative for this problem.

Best regards
Gordon