[BioC] cDNA microarray Questions

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 10:24:18 MET 2004

>The correlation coefficients are very low. Is that the normal case?
>Do I need to delete some poor quality genes before any analysis and
>what rule should I use?

Which correlation coefficient are you using?  I regularly see very low pearson correlation coefficients between biological replicates but that can be put down to natural biological variation - no two organisms are the same, right?  BUT if you start seeing low correlations between technical replicates (e.g. replicate samples from the same animal/tissue/organ/whatever) then that indicates that you have a lot of variation in your technology, which is bad.

ON another note, I always find the Spearman Rank Correlation Coefficients to be much higher.

Mick