[BioC] Decomposing and recomposing BioConductor data sets

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 9 17:46:23 MET 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 05:00:36PM +0100, Jarle Snertingdalen wrote:
> Hi
>
> We're working on a project which uses R and other similar
> programs/languages to all sorts of computing. The project is written in
> Python, and we use RPy to communicate with R. However, data sets (like
> swirl) from BioConductor are not compatible with RPy. Through some
> research we found that they are made up of empty lists with a range of
> attributes attached to them.
>
> I have to take apart the datasets, create 'clones' in python and then
> reconstruct them in R. The solution I have come up with so far is to
> recursively retrieve the attributes using 'attributes(foo)' and the
> 'foo$bar' syntax, place the retrieved attributes in a nested list, and
> convert the list to Python with RPy.

 They are S4 objects and you are not using the class and method
 definitions. You might want to look into the methods package a bit
 more, there is also John Chambers book, Programming with Data, and
 some notes on the developer page for the Bioconductor project.

 Robert

> My questions are: Why isn't the information put in nested lists in the
> first place, is my suggested approach valid for all BioConductor data
> sets, and is it the easiest way for generic decomposition of the data
> sets?
>

> regards,
>
> Jarle Snertingdalen
> Software Developer http://www.zherlock.org
> NTNU Norway (Norwegian University of Science and Technology)
>

> PS: Some background information about the project; It is called SciCraft
> (formerly known as Zherlock), and is a graphical data analasys tool using
> third party software (like R and Octave) for computation. A typical use of
> the program could be to read data in R-format, use some Octave-function on
> the data read, then sending the data back into R for further work, and
> finally plot the results with some plot-tool and perhaps exporting it to
> some format. Whether a function is ran in R og Octave is invisible to the
> user.

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |