[BioC] P calls (VSN and RMA)

Isaac Neuhaus isaac.neuhaus at bms.com
Fri Jan 9 20:43:40 MET 2004

We agree with Rafael that using algorithms such as VSN and RMA greatly
reduces the noise at the lower intensities (hurray!). However, there is
still the biological fact that a lot of the probesets on any chip assay
genes that are not expressed in the cell type being tested.
Incorporating the null measurements for these probesets greatly affects
any kind of multiple test corrections applied in analysis of the data.

For this reason, we would also really like to filter out these
unexpressed genes. One way is simply using an intensity cut, but this
seems arbitrary, unless it is genuinely linked to detection ability of
the technology.  Does anyone have comments or ideas?

Petra and Isaac