[BioC] P calls (VSN and RMA)

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Sat Jan 10 13:32:00 MET 2004

i agree with wolfgang. to reiterate, what is very important is that you
remember that due to uncertainity in measurement (not to mention Naef's
observation), there is also
uncertainty in P/A calls and any other filtering operation. what is
lacking is a rigorous assssment of this uncertainty.
thus, by filtering genes before looking
at other stats (such as fold change) you will likely introduce false
negatives but wont have a clue of how much. i havent seen evidence
suggesting that, when using RMA, this
sacrifice in sensitivity is worth the gain in specificity. although, for
MAS 5.0 it certailiny helps.

another issue is how do you define P/A when you get differing calls in
technical (or biological) replicates. i have seen many arbitrary choices
used such as requiring 80% presence... but again, i havent seen evidence
suggesting this helps, when using RMA.