[BioC] technical replicates

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sun Jan 11 16:03:58 MET 2004

I usually use mixed model ANOVA to determine differential expression.  By
putting in a random effects term for sample (you have 2 technical reps per
sample) you end up with the correct analysis.

However, in your case you have no sample replication.  As a result, you
cannot do a statistically valid ANOVA.   People do use various
approximations - the Affy-type Wilcoxon tests which treat the probes as
replicates (makes me very very nervous); using the technical replicates as
if they were biological replicates (makes me very nervous - there is no
guarantee that there is much relationship between the technical and
biological variation).  Of course, the best thing to do is to convince the
investigators that biological replication is far more important than
technical replication.  In most Affy studies, technical replication will
not be cost-effective due to the relatively small technical variance and
the large cost of individual arrays.